Monday 1 April 2013

A rest from amateur radio I'm back surfing the HF bands

After about a year off amateur radio my enthusiasm has regained itself and I'm back surfing the HF bands. Thanks to Daz M0TPS letting me know what I'm missing. After been put off and not been able to use my radio equipment due to interference on the HF spectrum and ofcom not being able to find it telling me to buy a noise filter I recently purchased the MFJ1026 noise canceling signal enhancer. To my surprise working radio without having to put up with interference was a great pleasure it was like someone had turned my radio on again. Fantastic I can have a shout and ball on HF again from home rather than from the car. So bank holiday weekend saw the wpx contest take place. "Great" a chance to try out my station in over a year. Out I go into the garden to pump my scam 12 mast up to find it frozen and full of water. My first task was to release the valve and let all the water out. Then boil the kettle and pour over it to warm it up ready for the great launch. So after around an hour or so maintaining the mast up she went to 35ft after been on the ground at 10ft since June 2012. Kettle on and upto the shack with a coffee to start the pc's up and the radio's and I bet they got the shock of there lives. Anyway working a host of stations including: Uruguay, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, Argentina, Bahamas, Bonaire Island, Virgin Island, Trinidad and Tabago Island, Cayman Islands,  Mexico, Ecuador, Cuba, Tunisia, Chile, Colombia, Aruba, Kyrgyzstan, Senegal, Cape Verde and Brazil with a few others thrown in for good measure. All in all glad to see my station still working well and now looking forward to a spot of summer dx.

No comments:

Post a Comment